Adding and Claiming content in BioSharing
The BioSharing Team curates and integrates descriptions of community resources, such as standards and databases, progressively linking both to policies. However, we know that the maintainers of these resources know best. So if you find that the resource you lead or work for has an incomplete or incorrect description, you can claim and edit the record(s). If a resource is missing you can submit a new record in the appropriate registry.
Why should you claim a record? First and foremost to make your resource more discoverable to others. Secondly, to get credit, both for you and your group/organisation.
Do you fear that can be too much work maintaining the record? Don’t worry, claiming and editing can be a one off event, after which the BioSharing team will continue to link your resources to others, making them even more visible and ‘adoptable’! For even more reasons to get involved, click here.
What to add
BioSharing maintains three resource registries covering the life and biomedical sciences, that are progressively interrelated:
- Standards, including (but not limited to) reporting guidelines, terminology artefacts, models and formats.
- Databases, focusing on global and community-driven repositories
- Policies, highlighting data preservation, management and sharing
To allow the grouping of records across these three registries, we support the generation of Collections. We encourage Collections collated according to a specific criteria, for example, those databases and standards recommended by a funding body or journal policy. These can be browsed by clicking on the Collections button in the navigation bar above.
How to add a Record
- Create an account and login. We recommend that you add your ORCID to this account, so we can link you to the record. We also recommend that you use as group email address such as firstname.lastname@example.org, where possible, as a contact.
- Select the type and subtype of record you would like to add (Database, Standard or Policy) and complete the submission form, as comprehensively as possible.
- After you submit the new information record, the BioSharing team will perform a few sanity checks on your record and contact you if we need more information.
- Once approved, the record will be visible on BioSharing, alongside your name as the maintainer of the record.
- If appropriate, the record can then be added to a Collection, see more on this below.
How to claim a record
It couldn’t be easier. Simply find the record you wish to claim and click the ‘Claim Ownership' button in the top right hand corner; you will be directed to create an account or to sign in if you already have one. A BioSharing curator will quickly perform a few sanity checks and add any outstanding links and confirm ownership.
How to create a Collection
To allow the grouping of records within or across our three registries, we support the generation of Collections. To create a new Collection, click the ‘Submit Collection’ button, or the 'Contribute by submitting a Collection’ button on the Collections page. Collections can be created for many different reasons, but to get an idea of what’s possible, take a look at the existing Collections.
If you have not already done so, you may wish to create an account before selecting one of the buttons below.
If you have an account then clicking on one of the buttons below will take you to the relevant page, via the login screen if necessary.
Any questions? Don't hesitate to contact us.